CURRENT PROGRAMS & PROJECTS
(I) The Global Fund HIV & AIDS Programme
Grant name:- Nepal round 10 proposal to contribute to the achievement/s of MDGs 4, 5, & 6
Principal recipeint:- Save the Children International (SCI)
- Kathmandu (PWID component)
- Kathmandu (CHBC component)
- Kathmandu & Nuwakot (CABA component)
- People who inject drug (PWID),
- People living with HIV & AIDS (PLHIV),
- Children living with & affected by HIV & AIDS (CLHIV & CABA) and
- Street-children who use drug
Project start date:- 1 st February 2009
There are different components and various service provisions for PWIDs, PLHIV, CABA & Street-children that is being implemented by SATHI under the Global Fund HIV & AIDS Program. Below follows the different components and various services under these components offered by SATHI.
- Harm reduction approach
SATHI implements & offers various harm reduction services for PWIDs through its static centers and via outreach work. SATHI operates total 6 service centers including 3 drop-in-centers (DIC) and 3 NSEP (needle/syringe exchange) sites across Kathmandu district. Key programs, activities & services provided through DIC and NSEP Exchange center are:
- Needle/syringe exchange programme (NSEP)
- Outreach program with targeted HIV interventions
- Peer education program
- Community-based HIV testing & counseling (CBT)
- Primary health care service
- Condom promotion & distribution
- Behavior change communication (BCC) sessions
- Recreational facilities, Bathing/Washing, Tea-Coffee, Games & infotainment and
- Referral & linkages to other health, social and legal services
(A) Additional service provision for female who use/inject drugs (FIDUs) via female DIC
- Sexual & reproductive health (SRH) care
- Family planning and contraceptive counselling
- Pregnancy testing & pre-postnatal care (referral)
- Day-care service along with informal education for children of FIDUs
2. HIV treatment, care & support
Similarly SATHI provides various HIV treatment, care & support services for PLHIV through its Community Care Center (CCC) and Community & Home-based Care Program (CHBC).
(A) CCC of SATHI is established to attain the millenium development goal (MDG) # 6 similar to the project goal i.e. “Enhance the quality of life of PLHIV”. The major objective of this center is to increase and improve the life-span of positive people via increased access to quality care and support services prior to & while on treatment. Till the 8th year of its establishment, SATHI-CCC has provided various treatment, care and support services to approximately 1,200 PLHIVs from 64 districts among which around 370 people have started ARV treatment with the assistance of SATHI.
Key services offered through CCC are as follows:
- Residential care (lodging & fooding support especially for those who come to Kathmandu to access various HIV re medical services including but not limited to CD4 count, Viral load test, ART etc.)
- Anti-retroviral treatment (ART) initiation & observation facility and adherence support
- Managing co-infections (Tuberculosis, viral Hepatits etc.)
- Individual, couple and family counselling
- Critical & minor treatment support for needy people
- Extensive education & information on HIV & AIDS and positve living
- Regular hospital-based aid & assitance
- Referral, linkage & follow-up services as & when required
(B) Likewise to increase & improve the deliverance of quality care and support services along with essential medical & nursing care for PLHIV at their own community and homes, SATHI implements a community & home-based care program (CHBC) in Kathmandu valley. The CHBC team consists of 3 Health care provider (H.A), and 3 Community mobilizers and offers regular visits in the community and homes of PLHIV across target area/s where they provides following major services to PLHIV and their family members :
- Regular home-based visit
- Nursing & medical care
- ART adherence support & counselling
- Individual, couple & family counselling
- Nutritional support and
- Positive prevention and infection prevention education to family members of PLHIV
- Referral and linkages to livelihood programs, legal-aid and other social services are also made as per need
3. CABA Program
Since the beginning of 2015, SATHI has started a cash transfer program for children living with HIV/AIDS (CLHIV) also known as CABA program. This CABA social security program is implemented under the Global Fund HIV & AIDS Program in coordination with Nepal Government HIV unit that aims to offer CLHIVs a social security, as a means of backing their education, nutrition and other essential needs of these children such as buying books, school dress etc.
Under this CABA program, individual child living with HIV/AIDS receive a financial support of NRS. 1,000 per month directly in to their bank account, mostly in the account of their parent or guardian. SATHI under Save the Children International currently operates this program in Kathmandu and Nuwakot districts, reaching approximately 106 children with regular cash transfer support.
4. Street-children program
Similarly, since 16th of April 2015, with purpose of “piloting the crisis response to street-level children”, SATHI has began HIV prevention program with a focus to promote sanitation and encourage behavior change among these street-children with a complimentary provision of nutrition distribution through SATHI's DICs. This program is especially designed and focused towards reaching & enrolling street-children as well as retains them in program until they adapt safer behaviors in their regular life.
This program is running basically through 2 DICs with 1 Outreach worker trained and responsible exclusively to reach & enroll these children at hot-spots across Kathmandu district. Until now, we are able to reach & enroll total 178 street-children as of 15th April 2016 in the program.
(II) T.I. Pooled Fund
Grant or Project Name: HIV & AIDS Targeted Intervention (T.I) Program/Services for PLHIV & Their Family
Funding agency: Pooled Fund via National Center for AIDS & STD Control (NCASC)
Principal Recipient: National Association of People Living with HIV & AIDS in Nepal (NAP+N)
Working District/Area: Kalaiya, Bara District
Project Start Date: 23rd of December 2016
Target Beneficiary: People Living with HIV & AIDS (PLHIV) & their family members
Major Programs/Activities & Service Provision:
Under HIV/AIDS Targeted Intervention Program, SATHI chiefly implements & offers HIV treatment, care & support services for local PLHIV of the district through its newly established Community Care Center (CCC) that has the capacity of 5-beds and other programs/activities necessary to create an enabling environment for the project and also to minimize the incidences of stigma & discrimination (S&D) toward PLHIV.
Following are the key services offered to PLHIVs under CCC: -
- Residential Care & Support (Free lodging n Fooding)
- ARV Initiation & Observation Facility (Mostly for 2 weeks)
- Primary Health Care Services
- Pschyco-social Counseling (Individual, Couple & Family)
- Hospital-based Aid & Assistance (Round the clock)
- Extensive Education & Information on HIV & AIDS (Routine sessions) such as ARV treatment preparedness & treatment literacy, Opportunistic Infection (O.I) treatment & management, Positive Living & Positive Prevention, Nutrition and Balanced Diet, Caring of HIV Positive People etc.
- Minor Treatment Support (For needy people only) and
- Referral & linkages as per need; like to start the treatment (ARV), CD4 count & Viral Load tests, PMTCT, Pre & Postnatal Care, Advanced medical treatments and other Social & Legal services.
Other Programs & Activities:-
- Coordination Meeting/s with district-level Government & non-government entities/organizations like DACC, DHO, Hospitals n ARV site along with Law Enforcement agency, local clubs etc. to create an enabling environment for the project.